An early morning high-speed accident caused a propane leak, and fire that destroyed Ed’s Chicken, a local landmark, and favorite for nearly forty years. Reports say the incident was caused by a MINI Cooper driving at a high speed.
The restaurant, in the small coastal community of Dewey Beach, Delaware, was is older than the town itself (incorporated in 1981) opened in the 1970’s was destroyed in short order as the MINI that crashed into it remained lodged inside the “raging inferno”, as reported by delarwareonline.com.
The driver was removed from the vehicle with minor injuries before the fire began, and was later charged with drunk driving. The owner of the iconic restaurant does not expect to rebuild.